There is nothing like yummy cookie dough. They smell and taste so good straight out of the oven. However, can you cook it in the microwave?
Yes, you can microwave cookie dough. While you can microwave uncooked cookie dough, it often won’t cook as evenly as it will in an oven. Some ingredients like sugar will cook faster in the microwave. You also won’t get nice, evenly-browned cookies.
How to Bake Cookies in a Microwave
If you want to cook cookies in the microwave, follow these steps:
- Place cookie dough on a microwave-safe plate that is large enough to hold the entire portion. Use a fork to poke holes in the dough.
- Microwave at 50 percent power or 30 seconds to one minute for one or two cookies
- The top of the cookie should look dry, and it will flatten out.
Let the cookie cool before eating. Unfortunately, you can’t make a big batch of cookies in the microwave as there is no consistent heating that you get in an oven. For the best result, cook only one or two cookies at a time.
Is It Safe to Microwave Cooking Dough That Contains Raw Eggs?
Using a microwave to cook food with ingredients that have not been fully cooked or baked is a bit risky. The food could contain harmful bacteria that you do not want to ingest. In the case of microwaving unbaked cookie dough, bacteria are a concern if it contains eggs.
You will know the cookie is fully cooked when you see any bubbles in the mixture. This means that the eggs have started to heat up and start to cook. At that point, the cookie is safe to eat.
How Do Microwaved Cookies Taste?
A microwave cookie can still be tasty, but the texture is not ideal. Microwaves heat from the inside of the food to the outside. Since ovens heat from the outside in, you can get a chewy and brown cookie. The cookie from a microwave will usually be on the tough side.
What Store-Bought Cookie Dough Can I Cook in the Microwave?
Several brands don’t recommend using a microwave to make their cookies, including:
- Nestle Toll House
- Aunty Kath’s
However, one brand, Sweet Loren’s, gives the green light to microwave their cookie dough for 20-25 seconds because they use different ingredients than the others.
Can I Reheat a Cookie in the Microwave?
You can reheat a cooked cookie in the microwave, but it will not be as good as when you first made the cookie. The microwave is the fastest method to reheat cookies.
Follow these steps:
- Place cookie on a microwavable plate
- Put a damp paper towel over the cookie
- Heat at 50 percent power for about 20 seconds per cookie
It is best to reheat one cookie at a time in the center of the microwave. Best careful when using the microwave. You can easily burn the cookie, especially in the middle, if you leave it in too long.
What Happens When You Microwave Cookie Dough?
The microwave might also cause the raw egg and uncooked flour to expand and explode if the setting is too high or you leave it in there too long.
Benefits of Microwaving Cookie Dough
Using this method saves you time from preheating an oven. The microwave might be more efficient than your oven if you only want to cook a cookie or two.
A single cookie only takes 30 seconds to heat up in the microwave where it will take at least five minutes for your oven to preheat.
Here’s how to soften cookie dough in the microwave:
- Place the desired amount of cookie dough you want to soften on a microwavable plate.
- Cover with a damp paper towel and heat for ten seconds at 50% power.
- Repeat the process until the right consistency is reached.
If you’re still concerned about whether microwaving cookie dough is safe or not, check out the frequently asked questions below.
1. Should refrigerated cookie dough be brought to room temperature before baking?
If the cookie dough has eggs, you should let the dough rest for the best cookie results. The cookies will bake more consistently and have a better texture.
2. Can you bake a chocolate chip cookie in a microwave?
You can make a chocolate chip cookie in the microwave, but it won’t be as good as when you use your oven. The chocolate chips will still melt.
3. Can you freeze raw cookie dough?
Yes, you can easily freeze raw cookie dough. Chunky doughs like chocolate chip cookie dough freeze the best. The best way to freeze raw dough is to use the following method:
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet
- Drop the cookie dough in tablespoons on the sheet
- Put the cookie sheet in the freezer until it freezes (about an hour)
- Remove from the freezer and place dough balls in a freezer bag
- Put the freezer bag with the date back in the freezer for up to three months
4. Can you get food poisoning from raw cookie dough?
Yes, you can. Raw cookie dough contains wheat and raw eggs, so you should not eat it raw. If you are elderly, pregnant, or have a compromised immune system, be extra careful in avoiding raw cookie dough. Some cookie dough recipes don’t use eggs or wheat, though, which makes them a safer option to eat raw.
If you’re ever in doubt about whether or not your cookie dough has been cooked all the way, just check for any bubbles in the mixture. These bubbles means the raw eggs have started to heat up and cook.
There is no need to worry about the raw eggs in your cookie dough because they will not be coming in contact with your skin when you handle the microwaved mixture. Sure, you can microwave raw cookie dough, but it is best to use a microwave to reheat a cookie that’s already fully baked.